Thursday, June 17, 2010

Let's Get Physical

My wife is a nurse in the Heart & Vascular Center at a well-known local hospital, and while our professions are very different, both of our careers share one large thing in common: we both read, interpret and analyze medical records on a daily basis. Obviously, in any personal injury case one's medical treatment related to the injuries complained of is in issue. What most clients don't fully realize, however, is that once litigation begins you put your medical history in dispute. It is not uncommon for the defense to ask for, and the Courts to require, that a claimant's medical records for the five to ten years before the collision be produced in order to see if any similar medical issues have presented themselves in the past.

However, since medical records must be obtained from every provider seen, no matter what the symptoms complained of were, that means I get to know my clients' medical histories very well. In my years of reading and analyzing records, I have learned a great deal about the human body and the various ailments it can suffer. Fortunately, unlike my wife, I do not have to treat said ailments, some of which can frankly be just plain nasty. I never wanted to be a doctor, so it goes without saying that over the years I have learned more than I ever wanted to know about diabetes, GERD, migraines, acid reflux, sinus infections, prostate issues, shingles, MRSA, and the rest of the Physician's Desk Reference. One particular medical condition I see fairly frequently noted by physicians is obesity.

Obesity has become a well-documented and studied problem globally. It can cause health complications that include, but are certainly not limited to: diabetes, osteoarthritis, heart disease, sleep apnea, depression, and even some types of cancers. And these are just the physical complications. Let's not forget the social stigma attached to being overweight, and the shame that can arise from it. There's also added psychological and sociological pressure from the constant media bombardment of what Paris Hilton terms "Hotness." People Magazine's new issue exemplifies my point.

In the early stages of their personal injury case, clients will often ask if we need them to do anything. I always tell them to focus on getting better, as their health should always be their primary concern. At this point, Reader, I would like you to briefly look at the picture to your right and then return your focus here. Done? Good. That, as you may have surmised, is a picture of me. Now, quite obviously, due to a serious love affair with buffalo wings, pizza, and beer, I am not in the best of shape. So, I recently decided to take my own advice and start focusing more on my health by getting back into a shape which does not resemble a sphere.

I chose P90X because I'm a "Give a 110%" type of person. You may have heard about this home fitness program through the infommerical, or read about it on the Internet, or had a friend or relative who did it. Since I started the program five days ago, a lot of my friends have been curious as to what it's like. You may be curious as well, so allow me to share brief thoughts on my workouts so far:
  • Day 1: Chest & Back: This overly energetic man who I've never met is trying to kill me through the TV.
  • Day 2: Plyometrics: I have lost any and all ability to move my lower extremities. Including my toes.
  • Day 3: Shoulders & Arms: Ouch.
  • Day 4: Yoga X: 90 minutes of yoga in which I pulled many, many muscles I didn't even know existed.
  • Day 5: Legs, Back & Ab Ripper X: [Expletive Censored][Expletive Censored][Expletive Censored]

While it is too early to tell a change in my physical appearance, since I started the program I do have more energy, am sleeping better, and just generally feel better. These are just a few of the benefits that exercise can bring about. Exercise is only half of the equation, however, so make sure you are eating healthier as well.

Whether you are a recovering victim of negligence, or are somebody like me and millions of others around the world, you can benefit from focusing on your health. Victims of negligence should focus on getting treatment and following the medical advice they are given until they are healthy again. The rest of us can, in the immortal words of Olivia Newton John, get physical.

Disclaimer: The views of the author are his own. This blog post is not intended to convey any specific legal advice upon any specific individual. This blog post is further not intended to convey any specific medical advice upon any specific individual. If you have been paying attention, it is quite obvious the author is not a medical professional. Before beginning any exercise program or diet, you should consult a physician. If you are obstinate like the author when it comes to seeing physicians, perhaps marrying a health professional will solve your problem. Unfortunately for the author, the author's wife's advice is usually limited to an eye roll and a terse statement something to the effect of, "You're an idiot. Go see your doctor." The author will admit that his new focus on fitness is not entirely related to health. The author's need for larger pants also played a role. While writing this, the author has become annoyed as Olivia Newton John and Sue Sylvester's "Let's Get Physical" is now stuck in his head. He is a Gleek. Don't judge him.

1 comment:

  1. That was funny! :o) Continued good luck with the program!

    ReplyDelete